Carpentry Apprenticeship classroom with students and instructor

Apprenticeship Training

Train For Your Career as a Certified Journeyperson

Manitoba has more than 55 designated apprenticeship trades and Ƶ is proud to partner with to offer many of them. You’ll learn through a combination of on-the-job practical training and in-school technical training.

Training for a certified journeyperson varies from two to five levels, depending on the trade. For each level, you spend about 80% of your time learning from your employer; the other 20% is short-term technical training at college. Choosing a trade program will take you on a career path that promises to be both rewarding and challenging. So, roll up your sleeves, and let’s get to work!

To view a list of our apprenticeship programs use our Program Search tool and select Apprenticeship as your study option.

The following table and information is also found on page 74 of Ƶ's Program Calendar.

Agricultural Equipment Technician48-8-8-5All levels
Automotive Service Technician48-8-6-6All levels
Carpenter410-8-8-8All levels
Construction Electrician410-10-10-10All levels
Gasfitter “B”210Level 2
Heavy Duty Equipment Technician48-8-7-5All levels
Industrial Electrician210-10Levels 1 & 2
Plumber410-9-8-8Levels 1 - 4
Pork Production Technician2190 hrs & 180 hrsAll levels
Power Electrician210-10Levels 1 & 2
Truck Transport Mechanic18Level 1
Welder38-8-8All levels

The apprenticeship application/agreement process

An individual must find employment with, or be working for, an employer who will provide quality, on-the-job training. The employee and employer formalize the relationship through an apprenticeship, administered by . During each level or year of apprenticeship training, which varies from two to five years depending on the trade, about 80 percent of an apprentice’s time is spent learning on the job while earning a wage. The remaining 20 per cent, usually taken in a block of time away from work, is technical, classroom-based training.

Who pays for technical training?

The Apprenticeship Branch is responsible for arranging the technical training delivered by Ƶ and other colleges and for funding more than 90 percent of the technical training costs. Apprentices must pay the remainder of the tuition fees for each level and are responsible for the cost of their textbooks. Living costs for training delivered in blocks of time away from work may be covered through the Employment Insurance system or by the Apprenticeship Branch for non-eligible persons. Apprentices with dependents, and/or those attending classes away from home, may also qualify for additional training allowances.

Academic requirements

For the majority of trades, it is required applicants have a high school diploma or equivalent academic standing. Because apprenticeship trades involve technical components, it is important to have high school credits in English, math and science. Those with mature student status, over 19 years of age, regardless of completed grade level, may be required to participate in an assessment process. Graduates from a college pre-employment program, Senior Years Apprenticeship Option, or an accredited high school vocational program may qualify for time and/or level credits in an apprenticeship program.

What is certification?

At each level of technical training, an apprentice must maintain a cumulative average of 70% or better in trades subjects to advance to the next level. As many of the trades have interprovincial or Red Seal status in the final level, a final examination result of 70% or better qualifies an apprentice for a Certificate of Qualification and a Red Seal Interprovincial Certificate of Qualification. Journey persons with these credentials can move to and work in other jurisdictions in Canada without taking further testing or examinations.

College credentials

Apprentices who successfully complete the final level of their apprenticeship program also receive an Ƶ certificate or diploma. Transcripts must be requested from Apprenticeship Manitoba.

Contact Information

For further information on apprenticeship training, visit or contact Apprenticeship Manitoba at one of the following:

Apprenticeship Manitoba:


100-111 Lombard Avenue, Winnipeg MB R3B 0T4
Phone: 204.945.0575
Fax: 204.948.2346
Email: apprenticeship@gov.mb.ca


127-340 Ninth Street, Brandon MB R7A 6C2
Phone: 204.726.6365


Rural Apprenticeship Training Coordinators:

Jenna Smid, SW Region of Manitoba
Phone: 204.573.5512
Email: jenna.smid@gov.mb.ca